The following screen captures are from SP 2013. SP 2010 behaves in the same way except for the error message.
- You grant Contribute or Edit permissions to a user to a list or library, but not to the site.
- When they visit the list/library, one column is blank that should have data.
- When they edit an item the field is blank and the dropdown is empty.
- When they click LIBRARY, Quick Edit, and then click the dropdown for the column the get the following error: (Clicking the link does nothing.)
Note: SP 2010 just displays an empty dropdown in the Datasheet View with no message about a "service" or other error.
when they should be getting this:
The issue? It's a look up column, and the user does not have at least Read permissions to the lookup list. (Convenient that I named it "Lookup" huh?)
Other interesting side effects of not having permissions to the lookup list:
- If the lookup column is Required, then the user cannot edit anything in the list/library.
- If the lookup column is not Required, then when the user edits the item, the data in the lookup column is deleted!