If you don't know what the "local drafts folder" is, then read this first: http://techtrainingnotes.blogspot.com/2012/12/sharepoint-use-my-local-drafts-folder.html
Steps for Office 2007, 2010 and 2013
Each user can set their preference by going to an Office application such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint or Outlook and:
- Click the Office Button
- Click Options (Word Options in 2007)
- Set "Save checked-out files to" to "The server drafts location on this computer"
- Click Save
With this option:
And with this option:
- This setting is stored in the registry and could be set using Group Policy
- There have been reported issues when the drafts folder path points to a network share, at least in Office 2007.
- Every day I learn something new about this thing called SharePoint that I should have known a long time ago…