If you install SharePoint 2010 Beta 2 you will probably get this error when using search and other services:
Unrecognized attribute 'allowInsecureTransport'
If you do a little web searching you will find that you need this update:
If you have already installed SharePoint 2010 Beta 2 then go ahead and run this patch. But, be aware: “Service Applications that have been successfully provisioned without the update installed may need to be removed and re-provisioned once the update has been successfully applied”
If you start a new server build and try to install this patch you will get:
"the update is not applicable to your computer"
You must install the SharePoint 2010 prerequisites first, then install this patch.
Then I got this error: (but only on my second build! Go figure…)
“Failed to create sample data”
and found the fix here: (and then restarted the Configuration Wizard)
Here is the correct install order (or at least what worked for me):
- Install Windows Server 2008 (I installed 2008 R2 Standard and did no additional configuration except for networking)
- If you are going to rename the server, do it before installing SharePoint (or at least before you install SQL Server).
- Run the SharePoint install and click “Install SharePoint 2010 prerequisites” and complete this install.
- Now install the “patch” (you will need to restart after the install)
- Now return to the SharePoint install and click “Install SharePoint Server”
Just in case you are curious… the SQL Server installed with a “standalone” install is the 64bit version of SQL Express:
Microsoft SQL Server 2008 (SP1) - 10.0.2531.0 (X64)
Mar 29 2009 10:11:52
Copyright (c) 1988-2008 Microsoft Corporation
Express Edition (64-bit) on
Windows NT 6.1 <X64> (Build 7600: ) (VM)