SharePoint 2010 VHDs are now available… see here: http://techtrainingnotes.blogspot.com/2010/02/sharepoint-2010-vhds-now-available.html
(the info below is for SharePoint 2007)
Update! OUCH! Microsoft has updated the MOSS 2007 image below… and it now only works under Hyper-V, and only under Windows Server 2008 64 bit! I cannot find a 32 bit version!
"How to Create a MOSS 2007 VPC Image: The Whole 9 Yards"
A great step by step set of instructions by Tony Zink.
Create one for development work:
WSS: Microsoft also has a downloadable VPC image with a full WSS install that includes Visual Studio 2008 and Visual Studio 2008 extensions for Windows SharePoint Services 3.0, v1.1:
MOSS: Microsoft also has a downloadable
VPC (now only works with Hyper-V!) image with a full MOSS Enterprise install that includes Office 2007:
VPCs for more Microsoft products here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/bb738372.aspx
The general requirements for using these VHDs are:
- A system with supported Operating Systems: Windows Server 2003 or Windows XP or Windows Vista
- Other Requirements: Personal Computer with 1.5 GHz or higher processor and at least 1 GB RAM.
- Free hard drive space as required by the VHD
- Super VGA (1024x768) video adapter/monitor
- Microsoft Virtual Server 2005 R2 software
Want to get rid of "Shutdown Event Tracker" popup you see every time you shutdown the VPC?
Here's a great article describing the feature and how to turn it off: http://www.windowsnetworking.com/articles_tutorials/Disable-Shutdown-Event-Tracker-Windows-2003.html
And here's the official article from Microsoft: