- The obvious answer: you did it! You renamed the server.
- No so obvious: you installed SharePoint on a test server using local accounts and then decided to add Active Directory or join the server to a domain so you can play with all of the email features. (typical error code in the Event viewer is 17204)
Just Re-run Setup...
To fix it just rerun SQL Setup and let it repair the installation. But what about Microsoft Sql Server Embedded Edition (SSEE), the free, default and well hidden edition of SQL server that does not come with a setup program? Several Knowledgebase articles describe how to do this with a command line tool, but they never tell you enough. Here's one:
They show you this line:
- Does not include any management tools, but you can connect to it using SQL Server Studio (regular or Express) with this "server name": \\.\pipe\mssql$microsoft##ssee\sql\query
- It lives here: C:\WINDOWS\SYSMSI
- The databases are here by default: C:\WINDOWS\SYSMSI\SSEE\MSSQL.2005\MSSQL\Data